Can’t lift much on the bench press? Your bench press is okay, but you want to join the strong men? Good news, keep reading this article to find out how to bench more weight!
Using the correct technique to lift more at the bench press
1. Start with your feet on the bench, your pelvis high, and your shoulders touching the bench. Your shoulders should be carrying the most weight so that you have the right technique. This will help you how to bench more weight and maintain good posture when lifting a lot of weight.
2. Lower your feet to the floor, your buttocks on the bench, while maintaining contact between the shoulders and the bench. Your back should arch a bit, which means you can build more strength during the exercise. Keep your neck comfortably on the bench for the duration of the exercise.
3. Grasp the bar with a firm grip, use your thumb well. Lock your thumb under the bar. Ideally, it should rest above your index finger.
4. Learn where to position your hands to use the most power. Depending on your height and the length of your arms, position your hands on the bar so that your forearms are perfectly vertical when the bar is brought to your torso. Many people achieve this by grabbing the bar at a point a little wider than shoulder width apart.
- The wider the grip, the more you tend to activate the muscles of the torso. The narrower the grip, the more you will activate your triceps.
- Do what’s comfortable. People with longer arms are likely to be more comfortable grabbing the bar farther than those with shorter arms.
5. Move your shoulders back and forth to maintain closest contact with the bench. When you do the bench press, you push (at least in part) with your shoulders. If your shoulders are hanging down either side of the bench or are not centered, you will lose that fulcrum and your ability to lift more weight will decrease.
6. Always use an assistant. With an assistant, the fear of not being able to give your best will most often disappear: if you are struggling with a heavy weight, your assistant will always be there to help you. It is a major psychological factor. You should always push yourself over your current platform to lift more weight and an assistant will secure you in these conditions
7. Practice breathing properly. Inhale at the top of the movement, then as you near the end of your repetition, exhale. Then, inhale again at the top and repeat this technique to deploy the maximum power. Remember that proper breathing sends oxygenated blood to your muscles.
Use other strategies to lift more weight
1.For the bench press in particular, reduce the number of repetitions and increase the weight. For heavy lifting movements, like the bench press, 5 sets of 5 reps works really well to increase your ability to lift more. Professional weightlifters will even perform sets of three, two, or one repetition to maximize their strength.
2.Start by lifting the heaviest weights. Finish with isolation exercises with medium weights. Start your workout routine with the bench press. Again, it is ideal to do a few reps with a heavy weight. Once you’ve completed the heavy weights, finish your torso, triceps, and shoulder work with lighter weights and more reps – 10 to 15 reps for example.
3.Lower the bar just above the bottom of your torso without letting it touch your torso. Too many people let the bar bounce off their chests. While this is usually not harmful to your torso, your triceps don’t stay active during the entire repetition, so you use less force.
- Think of it this way. If the bar bounces off your torso on the way down, it’s like using casters on your bike during the wobbly part of your ride. If you are trying to become a faster rider, you had better take the casters off.
4.Do push-ups and other exercises for the triceps. Strong triceps are the not-so-secret ingredient for more bench press lifting. Push-ups are a much more natural movement that gives your shoulder blades a degree of freedom that the bench press does not.  Spice up your triceps exercises with dips (parallel bars), extensions, kickbacks and more.
5.Take care of your butt. With your back arched, your shoulders activated, and your feet firmly planted on the ground, the gluteal muscles become especially important. Activate them during the bench press. With firm and stable buttocks, your body will be able to enhance the twisting effect that your torso, triceps and shoulders put on the barbell, which will strengthen your overall ability to lift weight.
- Likewise, keep your glutes on the bench as you lift. Don’t lift your butt. Not only is it dangerous (it puts a strain on your neck), it also weakens your movement.
6.Slow down on cardio. Your calories should help your body build stronger and bigger muscles so that you can lift your ideal weight on the bench press. If you must do cardio, eat food to replace the lost calories.
Master the diet and lifestyle
1. Diet is the key. Eat 500 calories more than your basal metabolic rate + all the extra calories you burn during the day. If you eat too much, you’ll gain fat along with muscle. Your goal is to gain maximum lean mass, for this you should eat two grams of protein per day per kilogram of lean mass.
- To find out what your body mass is, measure your body fat. Let’s say your body fat percentage is 10%, that means you have 90% lean body mass. If you weigh 75 kg that is 75 x 0.90 = 67.5 kg of lean body mass, so you should be eating 67.5 x 2 = 135 grams of protein per day.
2.Learn to distinguish good carbs from bad carbs. Carbohydrates have gained a bad reputation in recent years. Lots of fad diets claim they are evil. However, carbohydrates are your body’s fuel and complex carbohydrates in particular can be good for your body, they are metabolized much less quickly than fast sugars. Stick to the good carbs, those in vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Avoid unhealthy sugars found in junk food, bread, sugar, and fried foods
3.Incorporate good fatty acids into your diet. Like carbohydrates, fatty acids have been pilloried in recent years. However, you have to understand what they bring to your body. If saturated fatty acids (those in fries and candy) and trans unsaturated fatty acids (those in fast food and frozen foods) aren’t good for you, cis unsaturated fatty acids and essential fatty acids are good for you. health when consumed in moderation.
- Foods containing cis unsaturated fatty acids are for example: nuts, vegetable oils, olive oil or avocado.
- Foods containing essential fatty acids are for example: soybean oil, fish (mackerel, sardines, salmon, etc.), flax seeds.
4.Balance your meals instead of eating only once or twice a day. Calculate your calorie needs and estimate how many calories you burn in a day. Exceed this calorie threshold in order to build muscle. Instead of eating just one or two large meals a day, try five or six smaller meals including snacks before and after exercise.
5.Not only is sleep essential for you to be relaxed and ready to attack the next morning, it is also essential for allowing the muscles in your body to grow. Researchers have found that during good quality REM sleep, the body repairs muscle tissue and circulates growth hormone. Getting 7-8 hours of good quality sleep is very important in order for your body to rebuild its muscles.
6.Not only is sleep essential for you to be relaxed and ready to attack the next morning, it is also essential for allowing the muscles in your body to grow. Researchers have found that during good quality REM sleep, the body repairs muscle tissue and circulates growth hormone. Getting 7-8 hours of good quality sleep is very important in order for your body to rebuild its muscles.
There are many ways to bench more weight. One way is to decrease your bodyweight, which can be done by eating healthier and working out on a regular basis. Another way is to utilize the law of gravity with some tricks that will allow you increase how much you push up per rep. You may also want to adjust your grip width for an easier time when pressing upwards. Whatever method you choose, it’s important not only to maintain proper form but also build arm strength in order to stay injury free. So if you want tips on how to bench more weight then keep reading! The end!
Tuna, Greek yogurt, nuts, egg whites, fish, jerky all have a lot of protein if you need it. Protein supplements don’t come close to these sources.
Always pay attention to your technique when doing the bench press.
Keep an assistant by your side to avoid accidents or injuries during the bench press.